Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sucker Punch: Sweet Pea Edition

Don't worry, this is the last Sucker Punch post for a while (at LEAST until it comes out on DVD and I get to see all the fun stuff Snyder wanted to put in, but couldn't or didn't). This is the entry I promised from my review, where I tell you all what I think the movie is really about, so here's the obligatory SPOILERS warning.

There are SPOILERS HERE. If you haven't seen the movie, and you want to keep yourself fresh, DON'T READ THIS. Wait until my next Trailer Talk.

Anyway. When I reviewed Sucker Punch, I intimated that there was a lot I wanted to say about the character of Sweet Pea, played by Abbie Cornish. The thing is, as Babydoll tells us at the conclusion of the film, this is not her story.

It's Sweet Pea's.

And it's a little deeper-running than the fact that Sweet Pea is the only girl left alive at the end of everything. There are really only three characters that we're meant to care about: Babydoll (negligible), Sweet Pea, and her sister Rocket. Blondie and Amber are sidekicks, and they're disposable; when Blue caps them in the head, we not only don't get to see it, but we don't really care. There isn't much to them. But Sweet Pea and Rocket we're made to care about. The moments of sympathy, the quiet moments of character development, happen between them. And when Rocket sacrifices herself to save her sister, it's drawn out and touching. It's sad in a way the other deaths are not.

Babydoll is the mask of the movie. We start the story with her, but we don't stay there; the least amount of screen time is given over to the asylum of the real world. Babydoll herself is a blank, almost emotionless doll (I see what you did there, Snyder) of a character, and I don't think that's because Emily Browning is a bad actress. I think it's because Babydoll is supposed to be the facade of the film so that in the end, when she takes the mask off and tells the audience that "This isn't my story," it's a revelation to find out we've been in Sweet Pea's story the whole time. And Babydoll does tell us this explicitly, that she was always only meant to be a tool, always only the fifth object needed for escape.

Sweet Pea, on the other hand, has a stake in the outside world. She has parents, she could have a life. Babydoll can't, Rocket can't, or at least, she believed she couldn't, which is nearly the same thing. Rocket tells us that "We're (the girls) dead already," but Sweet Pea isn't. She doesn't want to risk her life to get out because she values her life in a way that Rocket doesn't any more. Rocket fucked up her life in the past we don't get to know much about, and hasn't found a new reason to keep living...but she knows her sister hasn't made those mistakes and can still find a place for herself in the world.

I would like to posit, then, that the bordello circle of this nightmare doesn't exist in Babydoll's head. It's in Sweet Pea's. That's why she's the star of the show, she's running things inside her own head. I think that Babydoll's "dances" are a substitute for sexual assault, which Sweet Pea either can't or doesn't want to witness, which is why we don't get to see them, either. (I also think this is why Blue is SO upset at the end after Babydoll's lobotomy - he's the main culprit in molesting her.) The fight scenes are Babydoll's escape from what's happening to her.

I'm not sure how much of this makes sense, but I tried to compose it as coherently as possible. Join us next time, when I will probably wax rhapsodic about how Chris Pine should make more movies (we're watching Unstoppable tonight).

And I promise, no more Sucker Punch for a while.

11 comments:

  1. Interestingly, they apparently filmed more dance numbers in the vein of the end-credits musical, but they were cut for time. Maybe we get to see Babydoll getting all wriggly after all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think the movie works better if we don't get to see her dance (mostly because if we don't see it, it supports my molestation theory). But I am interested to see what else didn't make the PG-13 rating cut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Magic Martha I love your "molestation theory" about Babydoll dances, it was there all the time but I cound't see it, anyway good review, as a guy I just went to watch it for kick ass action and hot girls, that's all I nedded (we men are so simple to satisfy like in sex), to be honest I haven't read any other so called "profesional reviwes", but yours isn't about the storyline or some other technical stuff, but the message behind it. I hope stop by for more of your reviews.

    P.S.
    I don't have a wordpress or any other of those profiles.

    peace

    bastardsword

    ReplyDelete
  4. @bastardsword I'm glad you're enjoying my blog! I try to find things to talk about in the movies I see that haven't been addressed already in other reviews - since I mostly see the big release stuff, like Sucker Punch, I don't want to just rehash what everyone else is saying. So I try to look for a topic that isn't already being talked about.

    And honestly, the first things that made me want to see Sucker Punch were the crazy-awesome action scenes and the kick-ass characters. I was pleasantly surprised that there ended up being more to it then that!

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I disagree with everything being inside Sweet Pea's head, because we start with Babydoll and end with the lobotomy. Sweet Pea's exit seems more like an epilogue. I think it's a better idea that Babydoll lives vicariously through Sweet Pea. And with the appearance of Scott Glenn's character, it may just be how Babydoll is imagining Sweet Pea's escape in her lobotomized state.

    As for the "molestation" concept, I believe it is valid but in my honest opinion, that's not what the dances represent. First, I break down each "world".

    World 1 = Asylum

    World 2 = Brothel

    World 3 = "Dance Imagery"

    Now, if it's safe to assume Gorski's therapy in the Asylum is to re-enact their trauma on stage, or the Theatre, I think the equivalent is the dance they perform in the "Brothel". So ergo, each dance represents the re-enactment of a traumatic or revelation for Babydoll to Gorski in the theatre.

    Dance 1 = 3 Samurai and clues about items = Blue and his two goons attacking Babydoll. Reinforced by clues throughout the entire film.

    Dance 2 = Nazis and the idea that the girls must work together = The idea that she, Babydoll, can't do everything on her own and needs help to accomplish the goal.

    Dance 3 = Castle, orcs, dragons = Babydoll feeling guilty for killing her baby sister (baby dragon) and feeling responsible for her mother's death (adult dragon).

    Dance 4 = Train = By them failing this mission and it concluding with the city blowing up, it represents their world crashing down around them because soon after, Rocket, Amber, and Blondie are all killed, and Sweet Pea is locked away.

    So, that's my interpretation of the film/each dance. This may very well change when the R-rated version is released with extra footage but as of right now, that's how I've interpreted it. Feel free to criticize as much as you like.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I love about Sucker Punch is that it's so freeform, it BEGS for discussion about what's actually happening. I like hearing other peoples' theories!

    I'm interested to know what you think about the sections of the movie where Baby Doll is not present. I'm thinking specifically of the handful of conversations between Sweet Pea and Rocket, and then the moment between Blondie and Madame Gorski (which is the biggest hole in my theory, I think - that happens in the brothel world, but neither Sweet Pea or Baby Doll is around, so who's imagining this convo?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I first say it's really refreshing that you have stated that these are your thoughts and not fact - most people blogging about this movie claim to know 100% what the hell is going on!

    I've only seen the movie once but I loved it. I think Sucker Punch is a love or hate movie, nothing in between.

    Anyway, as far as my theory goes, I believe Sweet Pea is the only one that is actually real, and the entirety of the movie is her "stage therapy" session. I'll explain why!

    I picked up on the fact that we start the movie with the red curtain going up and showing Babydoll sitting on her bed on a stage. In fact, the stage is EXACTLY the same as the stage we first see Sweet Pea, and another fact, Sweet Pea is sitting on the bed in EXACTLY the same way as Babydoll was at the start of the movie. Cue the long drawn out stare.

    Let's go back to the start of the movie. From the stage scene that Babydoll is in, she runs through the door and suddenly we're in an actual house and all the stuff with her stepfather and sister happens.

    This is Sweet Pea going through the loss of her sister. Yep, I believe Rocket is already dead but Sweet Pea, by using her made up character Babydoll, is reliving that experience.

    So my theory would suggest that we go through the movie with characters and fantasies all conjured up by Sweet Pea's "stage therapy" session.

    I would also propose that the ending was actually Sweet Pea having the lobotomy, and in her head she is dreaming of getting on this bus with the "guardian angel"... Remember how the sunset the bus was driving towards looked very... Unrealistic to the point of it being a dream? Her final thoughts during/after lobotomisation? (is that a word?) Or perhaps she's dead and it's her going to heaven?

    I can't figure out the sheer emphasis on Babydoll's facial expression though. That really does bug me and I can't for the life of me think what's going on with that.

    Meh, it's a theory I'd like to throw into the ring anyway. Yeah, it's pretty loose and a few gaps need filling but the gist of the theory feels right to me!

    I love the way this movie has kept me thinking about it long after viewing it. Can't wait to get it on DVD! As a disclaimer, I have only seen it the once so apologies if I'm totally wide of the mark!

    Thanks!

    - Chip

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Chip I love movies because they are so subjective - often, you get out of them what you put in, in terms of effort. Often there are no wrong answers! And I like talking to people who think different things than I do, sometimes it deepens my understand or appreciation for what I saw. So thank you very much for reading!

    I agree with you that Sweet Pea is definitely the focus of the film. I hadn't noticed that bit about the bed, but you're right, if that's true it makes a lot of sense! This is definitely a movie that begs for repeat watching, to catch all the parallel detail. The next time I watch it I'm going to keep your comments in mind and see what I see.

    Although, I do have to say, it makes me personally happier to think that Sweet Pea gets a happy ending...I know it's not likely, because of the old man showing up, but she went through so much it makes me feel better to think she got her happy ending.

    Thank you for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting theories here. I believe in some vein they are all correct. I also read another review of the movie and what they believed was happening that kinda coincides with what you conveyed from the film. If you want to read it here's the link: http://www.busygamernews.com/2011/04/if_you_dont_like_sucker_punch.html

    I'm more in tune with the idea that it was Babydoll's story and the escapism into other realities was her way of shying away from what was happening to her (molestation, rape, etc.) and explaining to the Madam during their therapy sessions. And as someone previously stated Sweet Pea was the epilogue so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Part of it is Babydoll's story, of course - she's the viewpiece that the audience gets. But in the end, even she admits that this was never her story to finish.

    There's certainly a lot going on here. I'll do a closer analysis once I (inevitably) buy the DVD; stay tuned for another discussion post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Babydoll's still main part of this. But so is Sweet Pea. Ill support it by saying this... Remember the old man and the boy? Boy turns around and looks at her. Then the old man (wise man from all the missions they done in the dream) helps her? Well after the lobotomy babydoll got, she dreams Sweet Pea is now going to be free. How do I know this? Because the old man and the kid only showed up in the dreams... so clearly states BabyDoll is still dreaming this. Its just her thinking or maybe dreaming of being sweet pea.

    -Dunn-

    ReplyDelete