Friday, August 26, 2011

Trailer Talk: The Woman In Black

I don't like horror movies.  Maybe I've mentioned that here?  Well, to amend that: I don't like supernatural horror movies.  SawHalloween?  Whatev, I'll watch those all day.  But ten minutes of The Ring, or The Grudge, or any of that ghost shit, and I'll avoid the basement like the plague and make my sister sit outside the bathroom while I'm showering, JUST IN CASE PHANTOM HANDS GROPE MY HEAD (note: this actually happened.  Not the head groping, the making-my-sister-sit-outside-the-bathroom.  The Grudge wrecked my shit for a LONG time.).

Do you know who I do like?  Daniel Radcliffe.  Which is what makes this practically an EMOTIONAL dilemma.

I'm sure that everyone is aware by now that his next big feature film, his first one post-HP, is a Victorian-esque GHOST STORY called The Woman In Black.  When I first heard about it, and saw some set photos, I was excited - the summary sounded interesting, the pics were intriguing.  What was being presented at that time was an emotional drama about a widower and a father (played by Radcliffe, who looks surprisingly grave and age-appropriate in the high-collared jacket, wan makeup, and 5 o'clock shadow) who goes to this desolate English town to try and sort out the estate of a dead woman.  I was led to believe that it would be about him dealing with his grief, and maybe learning how to get along with his kid(s?), and that it would be srs bsnss but not, you know, fucking TERRIFYING.

HOW NAIVE I WAS.

Maybe two weeks ago (because I am a terrible entertainment blogger and don't keep up very well with movie news, apparently) I started to hear...things.  About the trailer.  And the actual story of the movie.  I began to get concerned.  So I watched the trailer.  And the trailer?  Is pretty much horrifying (if you're like me, and are actually terrified by stuff that doesn't scare 16 year olds.  I'm not ashamed.).

It was like if someone set out to push all of my horror movie buttons.  There are creepy dolls and attics, and a passel of children who chant a creepy rhyme, and REFLECTIONS IN THE WINDOWS (this is a big one for me, reflections in mirrors/windows of things that aren't there or suddenly turn out to be there wig me out and make me not want to use the bathroom alone for like a month) and freaky writing on the walls and I just...I can't.  It's a really well put together trailer and you all should go watch it, but it is basically a warning label: MARTHA.  DO NOT SEE THIS.  YOU WILL REGRET IT.

I KNOW this is not a movie I should see.  I know this for a fact.  But part of me still wants to because I'm so interested to see Radcliffe in a different role, and see what he can do as an actor.  Maybe I'll wait for the DVD, so I can be scared out of my wits in my own house.  Or see a matinee, because sometimes all I need to exorcise the ghosts is a heavy dose of afternoon sunlight (and a margarita).

We'll see.  Until then, have a trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment