Monday, February 13, 2012

Oscar Roundup: The Artist

The Artist.  So...that happened.  I'm going to say flat out that I don't understand why so many people are so excited about this movie.  I thought it was kind of interesting, and sort of a fun experiment, but overall?  I was honestly pretty bored.  It was saved a bit for me by the absolutely charming acting jobs by Berenice Bejo and Jean Dujardin, but when I left the theater I wasn't impressed.

This is short because I don't have a lot to say (SEE WHAT I DID THERE), but I'm pretty mystified by everyone going nuts over this movie.  (To say nothing of how baffled I am that this experiment in silent film earned a Best Original Screenplay nomination.)  I guess my big issue is that yes, it was kind of interesting to watch a silent film in this day and age, but I didn't get why it was done this way?  I don't feel that having The Artist be silent and in black and white added anything to my experience watching it.  Hugo, the other love letter to film that's collecting accolades this year, is also about the history of film - but it's dynamic, exciting, and beautiful.  Which are not adjectives I would have used to describe The Artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment