Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Summer Movie Schedule

I have a new banner! It is courtesy of my friend Adam, who also writes a movie blog that you should read! It's called Cinematically Yours, and you can find it over there in my sidebar.

Summer movie season is almost upon us, and I can safely say that big budget, high action popcorn flicks are my favorite part of summer (as if you couldn't tell). Invariably, I don't get to see as many of these as I want to (having a full time job really cuts into my movie watching, you guys. But without it, I couldn't afford the tickets. Conundrum!), but I get excited about them, nonetheless.

Let's see what I'm particularly looking forward to!

May 6th: Thor

Apparently my birthday or thereabouts (May 8) is the unofficial start of summer movie season, and it really couldn't make me happier. Speed Racer (2008), Iron Man (2009) and Iron Man 2 (2010) were all released on my birthday, and all of which I loved, so it's hard NOT to be excited about Thor, even though I was never attached to him as a comic character.

May 20: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
I am afraid of this movie. On the one hand, I remember how EXCELLENT the first one was... and then my other hand slaps me a little and reminds me how terrible the second two were. But we're starting over, kinda, with a new story and new characters. And it'll be big, and pretty, and tropical, and there will probably be rum jokes. So I'll be there.

May 26: Kung Fu Panda 2
GARY OLDMAN. IS AN EVIL PEACOCK. I CAN'T be the only one excited about this, can I? I mean, look how far Dreamworks has stepped their game up with How To Train Your Dragon. It'll be fun, right?

May 30: Hangover 2
Ennh. I'm concerned. But the first one was so, surprisingly hilarious that I have hope.

June 3: X-Men: First Class
You can see from my trailer writeup that I cannot WAIT for this one. X-Men is my comic specialty, and the Hellfire Club has always been one of my favorite villainous organizations. Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw? Yes please.

July 1: Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Michael Bay calls this one "more sinister and frightening" without the "dorky humor" of Revenge of the Fallen. Which I can only take to mean the Nitwit Twins will not be featured, which I take to mean AWESOME. Also I got to watch them film bots on Wacker Drive, and let me tell you, the ravaged streets of Chicago will look fantastic in this. And let's be honest: this could look half as good and I'd still be salivating about it. I loved the first one just that much.

July 15: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
WAR IS COMING TO HOGWARTS AND I AM SO READY. I will probably cry all the tears, though.

July 22: Captain America
The Avengers franchise hinges on how good this one will be, and I think it looks super promising. My trailer impressions are over in my Super Bowl entry, but to sum up: visually it looks like they've struck just the right combination between a period piece and a superhero flick. Bring it ON.

July 29: Cowboys & Aliens
Is...is this based on a graphic novel? I just found an image (here) that leads me to believe that, and if so, I would like to read it. Probably not until after I see the movie, though. I've gotten weird about the order in which I expose myself to stories. But! Daniel Craig, Olivia Wilde, the wild west, and alien spacecraft. It's like Wild Wild West, only it looks actually good (I'm sorry, Kevin Kline. I love you, I really do).

August 12: Mr. Popper's Penguins
I never read the book, but Jim Carrey looks charming and I really do love penguins.

(Release dates provided by a combination of teaser-trailer.com and apple.com/trailers. All trailers provided by apple.com/trailers. Also note that this is not a comprehensive list of films being released this summer - just the ones I want to see.)

2 comments:

  1. I would say that there are two important indicators to the quality of the Avengers movie- how good Captain America is, and just how shitty Thor is. I'm Highly Skeptical that even Kenneth Branaugh can make a watchable movie out of the worst superhero this side of Aquaman, so that gives us our Worst Case, assuming that the movie can't be any worse than any of the setup films. (An argument can also be made that the Hulk is the worst case, but Mark Ruffalo's Hulk is an unknown quantity)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm mostly concerned about it turning into a total clusterfuck - I tend to think the quality of films decreases depending on how many characters there are (the two existing Transformers movies are good indicators of this). It needs a strong lead figure to pull it together, and I need to see Evans prove his Captain is up to the job. As much as I love RDJ as Iron Man, and as unfamiliar as I am with the Avengers, I get the feeling that it's really all about the Cap.

    ReplyDelete