Thursday, June 2, 2011

Trailer Talk: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

It's an abundance of posts!

I thought about waiting on this, but it's so timely that I just CAN'T. The first teaser for David Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo has been released, and I have so many ~feelings~ about that I need to share them with you before it becomes old news.

(See the teaser here)

Why I'm excited: Yes, I saw the Swedish version with Noomi Rapace.  My blasphemetic reveal for the day is that I didn't like it. 

I have reasons, I promise!  And I enjoyed some things about it: the mood was pretty excellent, it was very dark and it was faithful to the book's story.  BUT.  It suffered from two pretty huge faults for me, and first and foremost was the casting of Rapace.  Rapace is no doubt a talented actress, but in that role with the severe haircut and whatever makeup effects they used on her face made her look WAY too old.  In fact, I think the whole cast suffered from that; I didn't find Blomkvist or Erica to be particularly charismatic or interesting.  I know that admitting I don't like Rapace in that role is tantamount to movie-fan-death-sentence, and her attitude was right, but the visual was distracting.

The second issue I had was that through the majority of the film I was incredibly bored.  One of the things I loved about the book was how exciting parts of it were, especially the climactic action sequences; but the film was SO dark and SO moody and SO slow-paced that I struggled not to sleep through it.  I was watching events unfold, and I wanted to be excited, but it felt so flat and lifeless that I couldn't get there.

Which is why I'm so stoked for Fincher's film, and why I love the adrenaline-infused teaser.  Using so many jump cuts that you only get impressions of what you're looking at, the teaser leaps frenetically from hostile winter scenes to eerie faces to what I assume is a glimpse of a horribly graphic scene that I wasn't sure would make it into the film.  Rooney Mara, inlike Rapace, looks young enough to capture Salander's childlike stature, and I appreciated the call-back to the Swedish film with the shots of Mara on her motorcycle.  It feels like Fincher is acknowledging the first film without feeling obligated to stick too closely to it.

I also think that Daniel Craig is perfect for the Blomkvist role; he's attractive in a very world-worn way, and can handle the quiet nature of Blomkvist's reporter attitude but will definitely be able to bring it for the action.  And that heart-pounding music overlaying the teaser simply reinforces it: this is not your moody arthouse film.  This is a huge tale of intrigue, murder, investigation, politicking, and danger.

I can't wait.

Photo from Rope of Silicone - click the pic to go to the site

2 comments:

  1. When the poster even has nudity, you know it's going to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus I think I read somewhere that Trent Reznor is doing the music. Apparently David Fincher approves of him and his Oscar!

    ReplyDelete