Saturday, June 11, 2011

Tumblr'd Posters: Part 2

More of my favorite movie posters!

Coraline
Two things this does right off the bat: establishes the adventurous nature of our titular heroine, and the eerie tone of the alternate world (without straight up telling you that there is an alternate world involved).  It tells you that things are not as they seem and give you tiny hints as to the weird-ass things that go on (the button and the cat in the title text, the creepy painted-on-the-wall text).  On my tumblr I noted that I could have done without the text, but frankly I think that's because I've read the book so I knew exactly what I was getting into - the tagline is kinda creepy, kinda sneaky, and importantly, like I said, establishes a tone without giving much away.  For someone who HADN'T read Coraline, it's a pretty effective line.

Wall-E
Oh man.  Separating my incredible love for this film from my analysis of the poster, it is still a pretty rad poster.  The wistful expression on the robot makes him endearing before you even get to meet him, and filling most of the image with sky puts you in Wall-E's place a bit - you're looking into this expanse of blue and maybe wondering what's out there.  It also reflects the simplicity of the opening scenes on Earth (where we are in the poster) when there's no dialogue at all.  The sky is huge and at first glance empty, but it's beautifully colored with some good cloud and stars detail; what looks simple is actually richly nuanced.  Oh man do I love this movie.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Most of the Harry Potter movies had really, really good posters.  But there is nothing more haunting than this image of Hogwarts on the horizon engulfed in flames.  It utilizes the orange/teal color motif that many posters do now (because it's so visually arresting) but it's much more effective here because of how sparing the orange is.  The text is a lot like a hammer, dropping on your head right before you take in the burning castle.  I kind of want to cry just looking at the poster.

The Fountain
Oh, THIS MOVIE.  I've seen it a couple of times and I still don't really know everything that it's about.  But what I do understand is encapsulated in this image pretty damn well: it's visually detailed and emotionally brutal.  I love how the hand reaching up looks like it's being dragged down, much like how Hugh Jackman's character(s) struggle against scenarios that look truly hopeless.  I also love the contradiction inherent in this poster, being gray-toned when the film is SO brilliantly colored.  It's why I picked this one instead of the more common poster with Jackman and the tree.

Stay tuned for part 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment